Sunday, November 8, 2015

People really can take advantage of good manners

My daughter works for a gas station behind the register.  As anyone who has worked in retail knows, people can be real jerks.  A few nights ago, a man came in and bought $3.00 worth of goods.  He gave her a twenty dollar bill to pay.  When she made change, he decided that he wanted the twenty back and gave her a five dollar bill.  She gave him the original change and then stated that she could not make change for him.  This is how they stop short change artists cold.  He became VERY abusive and made statements like white people where always trying to get over on black people, blah, blah, blah.

She tried her best to be nice but asked another customer to knock on the cooler doors so her co worker could come out to help with the line of customers that had accumulated while this man ranted.  They eventually called the police and found that the man had warrants out for his arrest.  They also found out that while he ranted, his two accomplices robbed $300.00 worth of liquor from the shop.  They were all arrested and while the police were searching their car, they found drugs.

Here is my biggest problem...no one in that line spoke up.  No one stopped the others from stealing although they clearly saw what was happening.  Are we so wrapped up in our phones and wanting to stay out of other peoples problems that we would let someone hurt another?  If that is the pervasive attitude, what do we expect to happen when we are on the other end of such treatment?

I like to watch the TV show, What would you do? because it shows me that there are some people still out there that give a care about what is happing to other people and they stand up for them.  I would like to think that I would have stood up for my daughter if I were in that line and I did not know the clerk.  As far as being her mother, that man should thank the Lord that I was not in that line because the police would have taken him out on a stretcher and I would have been charged with assault.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting read. To be totally honest I would not have done anything either. Sorry. There are so many crazy people out here and with the new concealed carry laws you just never know when your life could end. Most people that steal and cheat for a living are also extremely violent. Most of us have families that depend on us so we do overlook stuff like this for our own safety. I am sure there are still a lot of brave people in the world but depending on the circumstances will determine if people will stand up or stand down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter had to experience that. It's so sad that we all have to be on guard in this world. I'm actually glad that you weren't there because your daughter would probably have been terribly nervous about the outcome. I hope she's never in that situation again.

    Sincerely,
    Zack V. (English 102)

    ReplyDelete