I know that this can be a controversial blog, but here is my opinion.
Kim Davis’s name has certainly made it to the national level. It is interesting to type into the search bar “Kentucky license clerk” and a story about her is the first hit.
I agree with George Takei. If any of you follow him, he has made a few good points about the constitution and his own personal take on the situation.
If Ms. Davis did not want to issue licenses to gay couples, she should have tendered her resignation when gay marriage became law. I believe that her job description details issuing lawful licenses to qualified applicants. Her job is to withhold her censure and apply the law to issuing the license. That is it.
As Mr. Takei points out, if she declined to issue a license to an interracial couple, the media would have hung her out to dry for denying someone their legal rights, yet interracial marriage was against the law just a few decades ago.
You cannot pick and choose which law you are going to follow. I you are going to cite your religion, perhaps you should be ready to be judged against all rules of the religion that you are following. Such as not divorcing and intercourse. She has been married 4 times and has two children out of wedlock. She seems to apply the rules to her benefit only as proven below.
From Snopes.com
In federal court, Davis testified that her objection to issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples was not based on any sin she thinks the couple might commit. She said it was based on the Biblical definition of marriage as “a union between one man and one woman.”
That’s different from giving licenses to people who have been divorced, she said. The Bible prohibits divorce in most cases, but Davis said, “That’s between them and God."
Read more at http://m.snopes.com/kim-davis-married-four-times/#BvpvBLSAXg2em9ge.99
I have a message for Ms. Davis. Judge not lest you be judged. I know that I live in a glass house and try really hard not to throw bricks. I don’t think she realizes that she does too.
Very thoughtful blog, Lisa! Who are we to judge anyone? You're right-the clerk really should have removed herself from her position! (I really like the autumn leaf background. I might have to steal that one!) Go BLUE-we call it maize even though you call it corn!
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Zack V. (English 102)